The Handley Tigers swept a three-game series against Cleburne County last week to put them in the driver’s seat in the race for the area championship. They also added a win against Sylvania Monday.
The wins over Heflin were the first area games of the season for Handley. They will wrap the area portion of their regular season schedule starting April 6 at Munford. Handley can win the area championship and a first-round playoff series at home if they can win two against the Lions.
The bats were hot for the Tigers all week as they reached double digits in runs scored in all four games.
Handley is now 12-10 on the season.
W 10-0 vs. Cleburne County Tuesday
W 13-2 at Cleburne County Wednesday
W 15-9 at Cleburne County Wednesday
W 16-11 vs. Sylvania Monday
• Evan Cofield went 6-for- 12 and scored six runs in three games for the week.
• Ty Fetner was 8-for-16 at the plate in four games with a double, three RBI and seven runs scored.
• Brantley Richardson picked up the complete-game victory in the 13-2 win over Heflin. He pitched six innings, allowed two earned runs on five hits and struck out four. He also went 1-for-3 with a walk and three runs scored in that game. He followed that up with a 4-for-5, two RBI performance in the win over Sylvania Monday.
• Connor Bickers had at least one hit in all four games (7-for-17) and had five RBI.
• Jordan Whaley went 4-for-10 in three games at the plate, with three RBI and three runs scored. He also pitched a one-hit shutout in the 10-0 win over Heflin Tuesday.
Coming up next: Handley is scheduled to play Cherokee County Friday at Southern Union.