Woodland outscored its opponents 41-0 in its three area tournament games to cruise to the 1A, Area 8 championship Thursday.
Woodland has now won eight straight games entering its first-round matchup with Jacksonville Christian in the East Regional tournament in Montgomery Wednesday.
The Lady Bobcats will enter the tournament with a record of 23-16-2 overall.
Wadley finished as the area runner-up after falling to Woodland in the championship round of the tournament Thursday. The Lady Bulldogs saved their season with a dramatic 7-6 win over Talladega County Central in an elimination game Thursday. Wadley trailed that game 6-3 going into the seventh inning, but they scored three times in the seventh to claim the lead and advance to the championship round. That win assured Wadley of a top-two finish in the area and a spot in this week's East Regional in Montgomery.
The Lady Bulldogs are 6-10 entering the tournament.
1A, Area 8
TCC 6, Wadley 2 - round 1
Woodland 15, Winterboro 0 - round 1
Wadley 17, Winterboro 2 - round 2
Woodland 11, TCC 0 - round 2
Wadley 7, TCC 6 - elimination game
Woodland 15, Wadley 10 - championship
Standout performances - Woodland
- McKenzie McCormick struck out eight of the nine batters she faced and did not allow a base runner in the opening round win over Winterboro. McCormick also went 7-for-9 with two doubles, a triple and five RBI in the three tournament games for Woodland.
- Jaeden Herring came up a single short of hitting for the cycle in the championship game against Wadley. She had a double, a triple and a home run and scored three runs as part of WoodlandÕs 16-hit performance. Herring finished the tournament 4-for-6 at the plate.
- Julianna Lovvorn pitched a three-hit shutout in the second round win over Winterboro. Lovvorn also went 4-for-8 at the plate with a home run, a double and four RBI in the tournament.
- Madison Mitchell was 6-for-8 in the tournament with three doubles and a triple, and she pitched the three-inning shutout of Wadley in the championship game.
- Kaleigh Crenshaw was a perfect 4-for-4 in her two appearances as she hit three doubles and drove in two runs.
Standout performances - Wadley
- Melody Jordan was 6-for-11 in the tournament and scored the tying run in the seventh inning of the Lady BulldogsÕ win over TCC in the elimination game.
- Makenzie Gilliland went 3-for-8 with a double and two triples and drove in four runs in the tournament.
- Katie Ward was 4-for-4 with an RBI and three runs scored in the win over TCC. She also went the distance in the circle in that game and allowed just three earned runs on nine hits to earn the win.
- Rylee Holloway was 2-for-3 with a double and four RBI in the win over Winterboro.
Coming up next: Wadley will take on Ragland in the first round of the East Regional in Montgomery Wednesday at 1:45 p.m. Woodland will play Jacksonville Christian in its regional first-round game in Montgomery, also at 1:45. All of the regional games will be played at Lagoon Park.