Woodland picked up its first win of the season in dramatic fashion Wednesday before coming back to earth in a one-hit loss to Donoho Thursday. The Bobcats overcame seven errors against the Generals Wednesday and got a huge game out of the number nine spot in the order from Callen Gay.
W 9-8 vs. H’shoe Bend Wednesday
L 10-0 vs. Donoho Thursday
• Gay capped a 4-for-4 day with the game-winning single in the bottom of the seventh against Horseshoe Bend. He had four singles and drove in six runs out of the last spot in the batting order.
• Jackson Lovvorn went 2-for-3 with three runs scored in the win over Horseshoe Bend.
• Eli Rollins pitched a complete game, allowing just two earned runs on six hits and recording nine strikeouts Wednesday against the Generals. He also went 1-for-3 with a double and a run scored at the plate.
Coming up next: Woodland is 1-2 on the season and will take on Beulah Friday, Fayetteville Saturday and Beulah again on Monday.
RCHS scored five runs on just one hit in a loss to Handley Wednesday thanks to seven hit batsmen, four walks and an error from Handley. The Tigers bounced back for a shutout win Thursday against county rival Wadley
L 10-5 vs. Handley Wednesday
W 12-0 vs. Wadley Thursday
• Jace Dunn had the only hit and drove in two runs in the loss to Handley, then went 2-for-2 with a triple and four RBI in the win over Wadley. He also went 2 and 2/3 innings against Wadley and struck out seven of the nine batters he faced to earn the win. Dunn is hitting .583 with eight RBI through the first four games for the Tigers.
• Joshua Burns went 1-for- 2 with three RBI in the win over Wadley.
• Johnathan Wilson had two RBI in a 1-for-2 showing against Wadley.
Coming up next: RCHS is 2-2 and will take on Lanett next Tuesday in their area opener.
Handley struggled to a 1-4 record in a busy week on the diamond, with their only win coming last Wednesday against RCHS. The Tigers ran out of pitching in a doubleheader on Saturday and suffered through a 16-run fourth inning against Clay Central, the lowlight of the week.
W 10-5 at RCHS Wednesday
L 7-5 vs. Ranburne Thursday
L 3-1 vs. Dadeville Saturday
L 19-8 vs. Clay Central Saturday
L 4-3 vs. Clay Central Monday
• Brantley Richardson returned to the lineup and went 4-for-12 with three doubles and three RBI in four games.
• Blayton Mangrum had two solid outings on the mound. He got the win Wednesday against RCHS after throwing 4 innings and allowing just one hit and three unearned runs. He followed that up with 4 and 1/3 innings in Monday’s close loss to Clay Central in which he surrendered just three hits and one run while striking out three.
• Garrett Calhoun went 4-for-16 with a double, a home run, four runs scored and five RBI for the week.
• Connor Bickers had at least one hit in four of the five games and finished the week with a 5-for-15 showing with two doubles.
• Hayden Daniel went 4-for-13 with four RBI for the week.
Coming up next: Handley is now 3-5 on the season and will travel to Valley Thursday and Dadeville Saturday before hosting Clay Central Monday.