Handley’s softball team won five of six games last week and Monday, and are now 15-4 on the season. The Lady Tigers’ only loss of the week came against Pleasant Valley in a weekend tournament at Oxford Lake, hosted by White Plains.
W 11-5 at Ranburne Thursday
W 5-2 vs. White Plains Friday
W 7-2 vs. Woodland Friday
W10-8 vs. Jacksonville Saturday
L 4-0 vs. Pleasant Valley Saturday
W19-10 at Horseshoe Bend Monday
• Alexis Henry had a huge week at the plate as she went a combined 14-for-19 with nine RBI over the six-game stretch. The hot streak bumped her batting average from .323 all the way up to .480, and she now has a 1.436 OPS and team-best 24 RBI.
• Kam Holloway went 3-for-3 with an RBI in the win over Jacksonville and then erupted for a 5-for-6, four RBI day in the win over Horseshoe Bend Monday. Holloway is hitting .407 for the year with three home runs and 14 RBI.
• Mariana Whaley went 2-1 in six appearances in the circle for the week. She got the wins against Woodland and Ranburne and pitched 4.2 innings in relief to close out the win against Horseshoe Bend. Whaley is now 4-1 with two saves and a 2.49 ERA for the year. She also went 7-for-18 at the plate for the week and had at least one hit in four of the six games.
• Kia Brown hit her first home run of the season, a solo shot in the win over Jacksonville Saturday. She also went 3-for-5 against Horseshoe Bend as part of Handley’s 21-hit attack in that game.
• Ava Hill was 3-for-6 with six RBI in the win over Horseshoe Bend.
Coming up next: Handley will return to Oxford Lake for another weekend tournament, this one hosted by Piedmont.
Woodland established itself as the front-runner in 1A, Area 8 with a pair of one-sided wins over Winterboro and Wadley last week. The Lady Bobcats are 4-6-1 overall, but they are 3-0 in the area and have won those three area contests by a combined score of 56-0.
The team that finishes first in the area during the regular season will host the area tournament, and Woodland appears well on its way to achieving that goal.
The area games are the only games that Woodland has played against fellow 1A teams. Their six losses have all come against 4A and 5A teams.
W 24-0 vs. Winterboro Tuesday
W 18-0 vs. Wadley Thursday
L 7-2 vs. Handley Friday
L 10-5 vs. White Plains Friday
• Madison Mitchell continues to swing a red hot bat as she went 8-for-12 and drove in 10 runs in the four games last week, including a 3-for-3, five-RBI performance in the win over Wadley Thursday. Mitchell is now hitting .625 and has an OPS of 1.605 to go along with 15 RBI for the year. She also was the winning pitcher against Wadley as she threw three shutout innings and recorded five strikeouts.
• After going 1-for-11 through the first seven games, Taylor Wilson has heated up at the plate. She currently has a five game hitting streak and has raised her average from .091 to .333 in that time. In her last game she went 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles and two RBI in the loss to White Plains.
•McKenzie McCormick has played the role of cleanup hitter to perfection so far this season. She is hitting .531 with a 1.634 OPS with four home runs and 13 RBI. She went 3-for-3 with two home runs and six RBI in the win over Winterboro last Tuesday. She also had two of Woodland’s five hits in the loss to Handley.
Coming up next: Woodland is scheduled to participate in a tournament hosted by Piedmont at Choccolocco Park in Oxford this weekend.