If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Please enter your email and we will send your username and password to you.
At last week’s meeting of Roanoke School Board, Superintendent Greg Foster gave the following report:
Congratulations to our first recipients for Randolph County’s Character in Action Award. We celebrate Amelia Greer and Bo Henry Cooper on December 20, 2023 for their outstanding displays of character. Our Chief Juvenile Probation Officer, Samantha Birtles welcomed everyone and started the ceremony off. District Judge Amy Newsome followed with a speech about character and presented the recipients with a trophy, a certificate, and a gift card. We’re so proud of Amelia and Bo!
Congratulations to the Jr. High boys, Varsity Girls, and Varsity Boys on winning the 2024 County Championship in basketball.
Congratulations to our varsity girls on the All-County Tournament team. We are so proud of Takeira Tucker for being named the Randolph County Tournament MVP and her teammates Takeriauna Mosley, Za’Nautika Smith, and Ana Tucker for being named to the All-Tournament Team.
Let’s celebrate our male varsity athletes on the All-County Tournament team! Cannon Kyles was the MVP and offensive superstar! Nemo Askew, Cooper Perry, and Cordan Patterson were all tournament team members and contributed significantly to the Handley win. Congratulations, Tigers!
The Tiger Life skills class is participating in the Great Mail Race. They have mailed out 50 letters to other life skills classrooms across the U.S. So far, they have received letters from New York, North Dakota, Tennessee and Maine! They have been so excited to learn about different schools and the fun things happening in their classrooms! Thank you to Mrs. Diane Tigner for her leadership role.
The month of January is designated as school board member appreciation/recognition month. In RCS, we are very fortunate to have a board that supports students and teachers. The board always works together to ensure the best decisions are made for our system, and for that, we are extremely grateful! Thank you, board members! Mrs. Rosalynn Langston Houston, Mr. Steve Burns, Mrs. Regina Joiner, Mr. Lon Hurst, and Mr. Tracy Brown.
The board approved the following personnel actions:
- Sanquese Boyd as Special Education Aide at Knight Enloe Elementary, effective February 5, 2024.
- Maternity leave for Emily Ellerbee, Teacher at Knight Enloe Elementary, beginning March 19, 2024. Her expected delivery date is March 22, 2024. She plans to return to work on August 1, 2024. This leave may vary according to medical necessity.
- Family and medical leave for Emily Ellerbee, Teacher at Knight Enloe Elementary, beginning March 19, 2024 through May 24, 2024. This leave may vary according to medical necessity.
- Retroactively pay Tina Glass $1,000 for mentoring an additional person in special education this year. Funds will come from local funding.
- Retroactively pay Lindsey Rowell and Tara McDaniel $1,000 each for mentoring the new PreK teachers this year. Funds will come from local funding.
- Abby Renee Easterwood as substitute teacher