If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
The Randolph County School Board has approved the purchase of a system-wide security system that will provide limited access to school buildings throughout the county.
The board approved the quote from Pinnacle NetworX for the installation of security access controls at RCHS, Wadley High School, Wedowee Middle School, Wedowee Elementary School, Woodland Elementary School, Woodland High School and the Board of Education for the total price of $152,590.34.
According to superintendent John Jacobs, the security system will be a card-based system in which faculty and staff members will be given access cards that allow them entry into the school buildings.
It will also provide greater control to school personnel over who comes into the buildings, particularly during school hours.
“It’s just safety so somebody can’t just walk in without being let in,” Jacobs said.
In addition to the new security system, the school board also renewed the annual contract for School Resource Officers at every school at a cost of $100 per day per officer. The security services contracts with the town of Wadley, town of Wedowee, and the Randolph County Sheriff’s Department to provide those officers at the schools.
In personnel actions, the board approved:
- Abby Adair, Linda Pruitt Smith, James Ezra Joslin, Clint Hill, Meghan Stash, Linda Kirby and Madison Singleton as substitute teachers.
- Linda Pruitt Smith, Abby Adair, Meghan Stash, Linda Kirby and Madison Singleton as substitute personnel.
- Shannon Clark as First Grade Teacher at Wedowee Elementary School effective upon the hire of a replacement.
- Lindsey Wortham as First Grade Teacher at Wadley High School effective upon the hire of a replacement.
- Kerrion Birdsong as Fifth Grade Teacher at Wadley High School effective January 3, 2024 pending completion of B.S. Degree Program.
- Randall Hill for Preliminary TEAMS Science Contract at RCHS effective November 8, 2023 through June 30, 2024.
- The resignation of Rodney Berryhill, Bus Driver, effective October 31, 2023;
In other business, the board approved:
Travel for Makaela Hodgins to Orlando, FL to chaperone/coach RCHS Cheerleaders.