At last week’s meeting of Randolph County School Board, representatives from Tanner Medical Center, Southern Ambulance Transport, and GoRescue were on hand to present Randolph County Schools with “Stop the Bleed” bags. These bags are intended to stop a major bleed regardless of the cause.
Superintendent John Jacobs said, “Our schools will be provided training on the use of these bags, and we are very thankful to add these to our emergency toolkits.”
Jacobs clarified the school system’s policy on student absences due to COVID.
Jacobs said, “We have had some questions arise regarding absences for sickness due to COVID. The federal declaration of COVID-19 as a pandemic officially ended in May 2023. Because of this declaration, COVID is viewed the same as other communicable diseases, such as the flu. This changes the way that COVID absences are viewed. The Alabama State Department of Education has removed the COVID-designated excuses for absences in our student information system. Therefore, if your student is absent due to COVID, or any other sickness, it is the responsibility of the parent to send either a parent excuse or a doctor’s excuse to cover the student’s absences. “Please remember that according to our Student Code of Conduct, “six (6) absences can be excused upon the presentation of a valid note from the parent/guardian. A valid physician’s excuse will be required for all absences beyond six; and, a student must bring a written excuse within three (3) days following the absence.”
The board approved the following personnel actions:
- Amber Henry as substitute teacher.
- Alyssa McDaniel as substitute support personnel.
- Maureen Hook as a paraprofessional/teacher aide at Wadley High School effective immediately.
- Sabrina Robinson as a paraprofessional/teacher aide at Wedowee Elementary School effective immediately.
- Tamara Hand as a paraprofessional in the multi needs classroom at Wedowee Elementary/Middle Schools effective immediately.
- Whitney Forsyth as paraprofessional/teacher aide at Woodland Elementary School effective immediately.
- Jill Phillips as math coach at Wedowee Elementary School effective upon the hiring of her replacement.
- Lisa Whelan as math coach at Wedowee Middle School effective upon the hiring of her replacement.
- The resignation, due to retirement, of Sandee Edwards effective October 27, 2023.
In other business, the board:
- Accepted the bid for bread for the 2023-2024 school year from Flowers Baking Company.
- Approved the out-of-state professional leave form for Makayla Smith to Louisville, KY on July 9-15, 2023; (JAG Fund).
- Tabled a vote on the policy, presented at the last Board meeting, regarding booster clubs, and other school affiliated organizations.
- Approved the Five Year Capital Plan.