Skip to content

Structure fires throughout county cause damage, some were a total loss

Roanoke VFD responded to a grass and structure fire on the evening of March 30 at Reynolds Trailer Park on Pine Valley Drive. A resident of the park, David Charles Hughes, told responders his girlfriend had burned trash in a barrel earlier that day. Witnesses stated this had flamed back up and started a grass fire which had then spread to a storage building owned by another resident, Carl Britt. Officers asked Hughes if he was aware of a wind advisory or of the potential for bad weather. They also asked if he had taken any precautions to ensure the fire was out before going inside. He said he was not aware of weather conditions and he did not know anything was needed on his behalf to ensure the fire was out.

A woman and her granddaughter escaped a fire in their barn-apartment on April 5 on County Road 606 in the Hobson area. Tricia Allred told responders she was awakened by dogs barking and then smelled smoke. When she opened the door to the garage, smoke came out. It is believed to have started from an outlet. The structure was a complete loss.

A fire was also reported on the afternoon of April 5 at an unoccupied house on County Road 92 in the Smyrna community. It is believed to have been caused by lightning.

A fire in the wee hours of April 7 destroyed the home of a family on County Road 2210 near Dickert. According to the report, Timothy and Lindsay Williams and their three young children escaped the fire. EMTs checked burns Mr. Williams received in leaving the residence. Volunteer firefighters from Tin Shop, Roanoke and Dickert responded.

Roanoke Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire on April 8 at the residence of Georgia Ann McNeil Hendricks and Chris Hendricks at 824 Chestnut St. Flames were coming out of the window when responders arrived, and Hendricks was safely out of the mobile home. Mrs. Hendricks told responders she was watching TV in the living room when she saw smoke coming from the spare bedroom, which is where the water heater was.

stock photo – Fire truck lights

Leave a Comment