I’ve been receiving a few requests for lower carb recipes, so here’s a good one to add to your meal rotation. This chicken fajita bake is the perfect dish to make if you are on a lower carb eating plan, but it’s also delicious and adaptable for those who aren’t watching their carb intake, so very family friendly. It has simple ingredients and is absolutely delicious!
You can use any assortment of bell peppers according to your preferences. I personally love the colors and flavors of red, yellow and orange bell peppers so that’s what I used. Green bell pepper would be lovely as well or even a poblano pepper if you would like to add a little more heat!
When I made this for my family I served it with rice, warm tortillas and assorted toppings such as sour cream, salsa, guacamole, sliced olives, jalapenos, lime wedges and hot sauce. To keep it lower carb, you can easily use cauliflower rice and low-carb tortillas or just eat the bake on its own. I think it would also be excellent on top of a salad.
If you happen to meal prep your lunches for the week, this is a good recipe to use for that as well. It can be divided into single serve containers after baking and refrigerated for a couple of days, and it also reheats very well. Pack some toppings and some low-carb tortillas on the side and you’ve got a great work lunch that you will feel good about eating. Enjoy!
• 2 Tbsp Avocado oil (or oil of choice)
• 2 lbs Chicken breast, trimmed & cubed
• Seasoned salt
• Ground black pepper
• 1 medium onion, sliced thin
• 2-3 medium bell peppers, any color, sliced thin
• 1 (8oz) block of cream cheese, softened
• ½ cup sour cream
• ½ cup salsa verde (or favorite salsa)
• 1 packet fajita seasoning
• 2 Tbsp minced garlic
• 1-2 cups shredded cheddar
• Chopped fresh cilantro for topping (optional)
• Sides and toppings of choice
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray
2) In a large skillet over medium high heat, add avocado oil and allow to heat up
3) Season chicken breast cubes with salt and pepper and add to the skillet in batches. Brown chicken cubes on all sides and place in bottom of casserole dish
4) Add sliced onions to the skillet (adding additional oil if needed) and saute for a minute or so allowing edges to get slightly blackened. Layer onions on top of chicken.
5) Add bell peppers to the skillet and do the same as with the onions. Layer peppers on top of onions in the casserole dish.
6) In a separate bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, fajita seasoning and minced garlic. Spread evenly over entire casserole.
7) Top casserole with shredded cheddar
8) Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until cheese on top is slightly browned and everything is hot and bubbly
9) Remove from oven and top with chopped fresh cilantro if desired
10) Serve as is or with favorite sides and toppings
This recipe serves 6.