Quick action by neighbors saves Roanoke man from fire - The Randolph Leader: News

  • Roanoke, Randolph County, Alabama — June 1, 2015
  • Randolph County‚Äôs News Source Since 1892
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Quick action by neighbors saves Roanoke man from fire

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:37 am | Updated: 9:38 am, Wed Dec 5, 2012.

Although a Roanoke home was lost Tuesday afternoon, a life was saved--thanks to the kindness of strangers.

Roanoke fire and police responded at 4:30 p.m. to a house fire on Betty Street (off Chestnut).

Resident Linda Gray was up the street at her daughter's house. As she started back home, she realized her house was on fire with her brother inside. She began to yell for help and for the neighbors to call 911, said Fire Chief Ronald Cameron.

Officer on the scene, Bernard Sheppard, said Leventrice Carlisle and Shaquille Trammell were outside when they heard Linda yelling for help. By this time, the house was full of smoke, and flames were visible from outside.

Trammell helped Carlisle climb through a window, where Donald was on the bed. Carlisle reached down and grabbed him by the hand and pulled him up. Carlisle then walked Donald to the window and they both escaped the fire.

Contacted later in the evening at her daughter's home, Linda said she couldn't get through the front door to get to her brother and he couldn't work his way to her for all the smoke. Donald has had a stroke and doesn't get around well. He had broken out the bedroom window to try to get out.

Cameron said the fire appears to have started in the kitchen, and the house and the Grays' belongings are a total loss.

"If it hadn't been for them ...." Linda said. "I sure do thank them."

  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

Stocks