Local fugitive captured in Miami after 16 years - The Randolph Leader: Home

  • Roanoke, Randolph County, Alabama — May 28, 2016
  • Randolph County’s News Source Since 1892
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Local fugitive captured in Miami after 16 years

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 3:52 pm

MIAMI - A fugitive who escaped from Randolph County Jail in December 1996 was arrested near Miami on Friday morning.

Danny Foster, 41, is at an undisclosed location and will soon be transported back to Alabama.

In November 1995, Foster shot and seriously injured his ex-girlfriend, Inita Berry (now her last name is Paige) in the back as she was entering her father's home on Chestnut Street in Roanoke. Her friend Michael Eric Magby, 35, of Valley was also hit in the arm, but was treated and released. Also shot was their baby son, Reuben Foster, who Inita was holding in her arms..

After Foster made bond on his initial arrest, his wallet and identification were found near a burned car containing a burned body in Macon County. At first it was thought that Foster had died in the car, but the body turned out not to be his. This crime remains unsolved.

After authorities received a tip, Foster was later picked up by authorities in Bakersfield, Calif., on a traffic violation while driving a relative's car. He was brought back to Randolph County.

In November 1996 he was convicted of first-degree assault for shooting his ex-girlfriend and second-degree assault for shooting their baby. He was sentenced to a mandatory 30 years.

In December 1996, when Foster was 23, he escaped Randolph County Jail in Wedowee by sawing through a bar of his cell and squeezing through the window during the night, lowering himself to the ground. He climbed over a chain link fence and was apparently picked up by someone waiting in a car. Foster was awaiting transfer to a state prison.

After he escaped, Foster went back to the Berry home where he held Roy Berry, Inita's father, at gunpoint while looking for Inita. Armed with a shotgun, he forced his way in. When he couldn't find her, he fled and has been on the run ever since.

Last summer, Roanoke Police Department began working with the U.S. Marshal in Florida to apprehend Mr. Foster. They had determined he was in Florida. Foster was using the alias of Jefferson Tyrone McClendon. (Roanoke Police Chief Adam Melton said there was a Roanoke resident by that name that Foster has been using.) Foster had been briefly been jailed in Florida under false names, but never found out.

Melton thanked the Deputy U.S. Marshal John Hamilton of Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force, Lt. Mike Knowles of Macon County Sheriff's Office and Randolph County Sheriff's Office for their assistance.

The baby shot in 1995 grew up to be the same Reuben Foster who committed on Wednesday of this week to play football at the University of Alabama. Melton said, "Our prayers are with he and his mother that this might bring them justice and closure."



  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.